So back to November...
Douglas brought me beautiful calla lilies from town!
I hosted my first ever baby shower! The secretary at our school, Clementine, had her second baby boy and she named him Ian. Baby showers are in no way a custom here, and Clementine even joked, "Should I bring a basin and soap to wash Ian?" Rwandans don't have any type of celebration before the baby is born (because that's too much assuming), and they don't ever announce a pregnancy. You are allowed to notice and comment, but they would never go around shouting that they're expecting a child. Despite the drastic differences in culture, Clementine (pronounced Clemen-teen) was still excited to have an American-type party (since she works with all Westerners) AFTER her dear baby was born. We hosted it at our house, and invited the whole staff. Some men came and said hello, but they all seemed to disappear as we opened gifts and got excited about things like bath soap and tiny hats. Clementine loved having us shower her with gifts and we loved passing around her new gift from God- sweet baby Ian!
Thanksgiving brought a half day of school that started out semi-tragically. My class had been reading the story Tumbleweed Stew and brought in all of the ingredients on Thursday morning. A wonderfully kind American mother in her class offered her 7 quart crockpot to cook our delicious stew. They brought it in, without a transformer (for voltage), because I assured her I already have one in my classroom.
So, before the kids come in I pour in some water and plug it in. I turn it on. CRACK, smoke, tears (from me) and I quickly learned that no, it was not a transformer, but instead a battery regulator. Go figure. I had ruined the possibility of tumbleweed stew for my students on Thanksgiving. Plus, I had ruined a fancy Kenmore slow cooker brought from the States. Douglas came to comfort me (benefit of working at the same school as my husband!) and then my boss said he'd take my class so that I could calm down. An office assistant talked to me and had the idea of bringing two big pots to school, and then cooking it at home. I called the mother and apologized, to which she responded, "Are you still going to be able to have soup?" Such a relief! I assured her that my mother would bring one as she was coming in a few weeks (and she did!) and returned to our class. It turned out to be a delicious soup, and the kids eagerly brought in so many ingredients that we have more than double what we needed. Other staff and the guards welcomed a hot cup of soup for lunch. :) God really provides in all circumstances.
![]() |
| Benjamin and Nicholas, the youngest kids in the family that invited us over! |
![]() |
| Pretty tables! |
Well, that catches you up through November. I don't want to do 2 months in one post because then, if you're like me, you'll just scroll through the words and look at the pictures when it gets long.
Do expect updates on:
-KICS Christmas program
-Field trip to a motor garage
-Christmas break with my mom!
-Etc., etc.
So, more to come. Thanks for your patience and not giving up on me.
With love,
Kerry
kerrybryan87@gmail.com


Finally!!!!! So happy. I miss you.
ReplyDeleteAn update! I thought this day would never come! =) You did forget to mention two heroes in the crock pot saga, but they're probably really modest (maybe the most modest?) anyway, so I guess it's alright.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for the post on your garage field trip. Sounds like a great time.