Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Of course I'm going on a safari...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010
8:46pm

Here I am! Still teaching and it really does get better each day. I’m reminding myself to find joy in every situation and to thank God for everything!
Each morning our class prays together and I take prayer requests or praises. Last week one of my precious six year olds said, “Praise God that it’s September!” It made me so happy because why wouldn’t be thank God for the simplest things, such as the changing of the month? Awesome!

I am currently in the process of locating my camera cord, but when I find it I will upload some pictures of my classroom, school, etc.

For now, I have pictures from someone else’s camera of our safari that we went on on Saturday! A KICS parent drove a group of teachers to Akagera National Park where we saw giraffes, zebras, impalas, baboons, water bucks, cool birds, a wart hog, cape buffalo, other deer-like creatures, and some cool butterflies too. It was incredible!

I had my second language lesson today in Kinyarwanda. We move really quickly through everything, but Joyce, our teacher, is really good and if I can remember, I have lots of people to practice with. The guards at the gates at school are always happy to talk to us and teach us new things, as well as the workers who clean our rooms. Fani, the lady who tidies my classroom, is very patient with me, as I’m horrible with pronunciation and she has to repeat things many times.

Tomorrow is back to school night for parents at our school. They’ll get to come around to all of the classrooms and learn about their child’s school life. I’m a little nervous to be dealing with a group of parents on my own, but I’m sure it’ll be fine because God will be with me. I know many of the parents already, so that is helpful.

The day before I got here was the presidential election in Rwanda and Kagama was re-elected. Monday was a public holiday for his inauguration, which meant no school for us! In the open field in our neighborhood there was a band playing music and a bunch of people were all dancing around in celebration! Many of us teachers went over to someone’s house and had grilled hamburgers, which were delicious. Then we played crazy uno, which I’ve never experienced before, but I loved it!

On Sunday I signed up for the worship team at my church, Christ Church in Rwanda. I had been thinking about it since before I got here, but wanted to wait until I could be committed to a church. Then I was encouraged by people during the car ride to Akagera that it would be a way that I could contribute my gifts. I’m excited because often they sing in three languages: English, Kinyarwanda, and Swahili. The worship team is made up of people from all over so it will be a way to get involved, meet more people, and glorify God.

Well, that’s all for now. I got more financial support from another person this week, which is always so exciting. I am so grateful and overwhelmed whenever someone decides to contribute in that way.

Thanks so much for the love and prayers!

Love, hugs, and geckos (did I tell you there are little lizards and geckos? I love it!)
Kerry
Miss Dembowski/Miss Bowski/Miss Bowso/Kerry Bear (as my British friend calls me)

2 comments:

  1. I like the specific list of animals that you provide us with, and then you throw in "cool birds" :)

    --Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God that it's September!!
    I want to come meet your students.

    ReplyDelete