I was feeling very anxious about parent/teacher conferences. Very. Not only was this my first time, but I was going to have conferences with parents who are from a completely different culture (and not just ONE different culture, many!), some who have English as their second language, and some who don't even speak English (one parent from Belgium brought an interpreter). Before they began on Tuesday, I walked into my friend Hannah's classroom (second grade teacher) and she said "Okay, well shall we pray then?" (Picture this with a British accent.) This is precisely the reason I was going into her classroom, and she just knew. I'm constantly overwhelmed with the supportive people God works through to reach me here. Praying with her put me at such peace with the conferences and her kind, encouraging words gave me confidence to face the parents. So, 2 long afternoons and seventeen conferences later, I can say that I've successfully completed my first round of parent teacher conferences! Ah, the relief! :)
As a reward, and much needed break, I am traveling north to Uganda this weekend. We'll be going to an island by way of dug-out canoes, to soak up the African sun at the beach and enjoy a quiet, serene environment for two nights in a geodome! Stay tuned for pictures!
So, Praise God for an awesome week of conferences (not easy, but they're over!) and the amazing friendships I have here. Prayers for our adventure to Uganda via bus, which will probably be anything but comfortable.
As always, thanks so much for the constant support in all ways: prayers, love, hugs through the moon, e-mails, letters, and packages.
Love and blessings,
Kerry :)
 |
This is where I live... sunset from school.
Don't you just love God's beauty? |
 |
Some of my kids during reading group giving an
attitude face. I love them! |
I like your sassy students.
ReplyDeleteWhat's a geodome?
You get an A+ for posting two entries in one week.
I love you!