Monday, November 8, 2010

My amazing kids


My students are the sweetest.  I mean, they drive me crazy on a daily basis, but their love and their hearts for God constantly overwhelm me with joy.  For the past few weeks I've had this silly cold/cough and my students are always concerned about me, requesting prayers for me each morning and showing compassion.  This morning one of my students came up to me and gently said, "Miss Dembowski, my mom said she can take you to the doctor so that they can help your cough and you can feel better."  Precious.  
On Wednesday it is the first graders' turn to do the program for chapel.  We are talking about Creation so today my kids were in groups around the classroom doing some art projects to prepare.  Four of my children were sitting on the floor in a circle cutting out flowers from construction paper (very hard to come by in Rwanda, but my roommate came very prepared) and they just started singing Jesus Loves Me.  I melted.


This weekend KICS had their fall festival which is kind of like a carnival/Halloween party (but no mention of Halloween).  Everyone dressed up and came to a beautifully decorated school and there was food, games, bake sale, etc., etc.  It was so fun to see my kids dressed up in their adorable costumes. It was funny to be calling it "fall" festival when, apart from the 20 minute downpour in the middle, it was sunny and 80 degrees.  No seasons here, except for rain.


Friday we celebrated Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Day which is a holiday from the U.K.  Lucky for us, we have 2 female British teachers and another British family so it gave us a great reason to have a party!  One of my friends had gotten marshmallows in a package, so we had make-shift s'mores.  We couldn't find plain chocolate, so we had to use the crispy kind!  Also, graham crackers are no where to be found in this country, so we used biscuits.  Anyway, they were delicious!


Yesterday was a great day at the orphanage, mainly because I got to feed mashed up banana to one of the tiny babies!  It is strange and perhaps pointless to try to describe my weekly experiences when I go to House of Hope.  I'm so joyful when I arrive because instantly I have children running into my arms craving love.  When we leave, they cry.  They cry because although the people there are wonderful, there is no way they could get the attention they need. Ah.  This Sunday was "Orphan Sunday" at church.  They showed this video and I encourage you to watch it, even though it isn't a "feel good" video by any means.http://vimeo.com/13888620

Well, that's all for now!  If you have questions, comments, news, or anything to share I encourage you to e-mail me.  I'm much better at responding to e-mails than I am at updating my blog.  Also, a lot happens that I don't necessarily choose to share with the entire world!


If you could be praying for my class's chapel performance on Wednesday that would be amazing!  We've been practicing a lot and so they're beginning to get a little bit bored.  
I can't stop praising God for the amazing friendships that have developed here!  The people in my life are just so incredible.


Well, friends, keep in touch!


Love, hugs, and dreams of fall,
Kerry :)

4 comments:

  1. Kerry, it is very exciting to see pictures of you with your kids. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Kerry! Don't forget to eat!

    love,
    Aunt Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry I have loved reading your blog and catching up on your life!! It sounds like you are having an amazing time and blessing those kids in so many ways!! They are so fortunate to have you in their lives!!!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete