Sunday, October 30, 2011

Oh Lake Bunyonyi

A couple weeks ago KICS had a week off for a fall break.  Douglas and I decided to take a small journey to the north to the beautiful country of Uganda.  We took motos to the bus park, a bus along windy roads, then motos to the mainland on Lake Bunyonyi.  We had a guide take us in a dug out canoe to the island where we stayed, Byoona Amagara.  They showed us to our geodome and we began our four days of wonderful relaxation.  It was an especially wonderful break after the end of the first quarter and parent teacher conferences.  We were feeling overwhelmed with all of that along with extra things to meet accreditation requirements (particularly updating curriculum guides).  On our second day there we rowed over to another island called Bushara, where some of our other teacher friend
 were staying for the night.  Although it was a bit of a challenge for us to get there (turns out neither of us are naturally good at steering so we went in lots of circles), we were much more effective on the way back.  While we were there we hiked around the lush island, enjoyed the beautiful trees, and kept our eyes open for pretty birds.  I don't know much about birds, but since moving to Africa I've had a new appreciation for how cool they can be sometimes!  After a couple of hours we left Abby (2nd grade teacher) and Natalie (5th grade teacher) and ventured back to our little dome.
We had fish for dinner, which we were a little disappointed to learn was from another lake in Uganda, but it was still so delicious!  Douglas enjoyed a drink that we don't have in Rwanda (or the US, tthat I know of).  It's called "Tangawezi" and it's ginger beer (like root beer, but ginger!).  It has that "bite you back" kind of taste, so I'm not the biggest fan.
While we were there we had a lot of time for reading, which is exciting.  Douglas finished a book called Heavenly Man, which is an amazing story of a Chinese man who was repeatedly persecuted for his faith while always keeping his trust in God.  Douglas highly recommends it and I hope to read it on our next break.  I read God's Big Picture, a book that simply outlines the Bible and really helped me to gain more understanding of how everything fits together as one book.  My friend Hannah (now in Bible School in the U.K.) gave it to me last year and I just made time to read it.  It was definitely helpful to me!  We also spent time praying together, particularly about our future!  We are so torn on where to be or what to do, so we'd appreciate your prayers for this matter as well.  It i 
not to just seek after our own desires, but instead be truly open to do what God wants for us.  It is easy to think we'd like to go a certain place, but it is so difficult to know what is best (especially when there is more than one option that is extremely appealing).
Douglas and I also had free time to play games!  It was nice to spend time together in this way, as it seems that we are doing school related things, or we're just so exhausted!  I had so much fun just hanging out with him!
The past week back at school has gone quite well. We thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful break, but we were both eager to get back to school.
I hope those of you in the States are enjoying fall!
With love from Rwanda,
Kerry :)



1 comment: