Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Back by popular demand... :)


Down our hill looking into Kigali. 

Dear friends,

Hello!  As per request by my little sister, I am back!  My apologies for not posting for such an extended period of time!

Yesterday after our Bible lesson, I asked a student in my class to pray.  Part of her prayer was this, "We are sorry for all of our sins.  We hope you can come into all of our hearts--even the bad guys." I am constantly amazed at how profound my first graders are!  They ask for exactly for exactly the right things!  Often in class, they ask if we can stop to pray if they're having trouble listening, or if they're preparing for P.E., anytime, really!  I do explain to them that if we ask God for strength, He will provide, and then we need to use the strength He is giving us!  

This weekend was the third time that I sang with the worship band at church.  The lady who is usually in charge this week (a singer) was sick, as well as the other experienced female singer.  This left me with a very talented high schooler from KICS, but neither of us are really used to leading.  We rehearsed on Saturday, upstairs in a small youth room because they had set up for a wedding that was taking place downstairs.  It was hard to hear our voices over the instruments (drums, 2 guitars, bass, and keyboard), it was hot, and slightly disorganized.  I left just praying that practice would be more productive in the morning.  Sunday morning came quickly and although we arrived at 8:30, we didn't begin with music until about 9:00 (standard African time).  We finished running through the songs by 9:50, and put all of our faith in God, because none of us were exactly pleased with how they sounded.  But oh, how God surprised us!  Our first few songs went smoothly (we came in at the right time and everything!) and then we played the African songs.  I have never felt MORE like I was in an African church.  Christ's Church in Rwanda is VERY international, but on Sunday the entire congregation was rocking and dancing and it was just an awesome thing to help lead and watch from the stage!  What a blessing it was to be apart of it!  

Also, during the communion part of the service I looked up (I sit in the front row, since I sing), and there was a man named Shawn there holding his newly adopted Rwandan daughter!  He had gone on the safari in Akagera several weeks ago, and told us the stories and struggles (LOTS of struggles) of trying to adopt this little girl in this country.  After having no success in the U.S., he left his wife and sons at home for a few weeks, and set off to get his daughter!  God worked his miracles and after only a month (this is quick!) he was holding her at church!  Things weren't looking very positive last time we talked to him, and so when I looked up and saw him holding little Grace, I immediately started crying, and was overwhelmed with how awesome God is.  Through Him, all things are truly possible!  She is precious, a miracle, and he even let me hold her!

Here I am taking a picture of myself on the moto!

After church I went to the orphanage that I go to every week (same place from which Grace was adopted).  Some Sunday afternoons I feel tired, and it takes a little motivation to walk down the hill, catch a moto, and go the orphanage.  Immediately when I walk through the gate I am bombarded with the reason that I continually go back.  They need so much love and that is all they want!!  I am so glad that I started going there right from the beginning.  



School is going well.  Progress reports went out last week, which seemed VERY overwhelming, but I managed to get through it.  It is nice to see that my students are indeed improving!  A few parents requested conferences with me and those are going well.  I am blessed with supportive parents who are concerned for their children.  

Thank you so much to those who are continuing to support me financially.  If you are interested, and don't feel comfortable donating online, or just have questions in general, please email me at kerrydembowski@gmail.com.  Also, please e-mail me anytime, as I choose not to post everything on this blog for the world to see!  It is nice to know who is reading and I'm always thrilled to answer questions or just to connect with people in the United States!

Thanks for all the prayers-- I can feel their power!  Prayer works and miracles happen.  Please continue to pray for me as a first year teacher.  Also, I am leading staff devotions on Tuesday morning, so I would appreciate prayers for wisdom in that.  Praise God that I have an incredible life here, amazing friends, and that I can feel peace about being so far away from home.

Peace, love, and fried chicken (I had fried chicken on Friday!!),
Kerry :)

3 comments:

  1. It didn't take you too long to fill up your schedule :) I especially enjoy your blog when you "write from the heart". Of course the pictures are a nice touch. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the kids reading under the table. =)
    Miss you, pumpkin patch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog
    I should write a poem about your adventures

    ReplyDelete